Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What Paul started.

I guess it happened because of twitter. And because of Paul McCartney. They were talking about #MeatlessMonday. I thought, "Oh, I can do that. That's easy. Pasta, sauce and a vegetable in there somewhere and I can help the planet, be healthier and save some animals. Okay. I'm in."

And it started there. But then it spread. It became meatless Tuesday and meatless Thursday and pretty soon I was trying to figure how to cut out the meat entirely. A tough bill to fit in a household of four with two children, one of them rather picky. But I felt so good. So healthy and full of energy and stable in the blood sugar world. Why wouldn't everyone else feel better, too? I bought magazines, pored over cookbooks and asked friends for advice. And slowly, one day at a time, I became something I never thought I would be: a vegetarian.

And then out of the blue, and to shake things up a little, my DH suggested buying some cows of own. So that, "we could have grass-fed beef of our own, and we'd know where it came from." "But we'd would also know their names," I said. I thought the family might get too attached and not want to eat "Bessie" or whoever. Obviously, I had not succeeded in converting Alex to being vegetarian yet. That came later. When he read how much better it was for the environment. And he was liking the way we were eating, too. So he became a vegetarian, or more precisely, a flexitarian.

This was followed by my daughter's becoming a vegetarian for animal rights reasons. She saw one horrifying video on Facebook and that was it. Three down; one to go. What will his explanation be?

My favorite beginner info: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/2007/pdf/vegetarian_starter_kit.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment