Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Valentine to Kashi

Dear Kashi,
      I love you. I think about you every day. You are my favorite breakfast and snack foods. Very often my lunch as an on-the-go mom consists of a bottle of water, a piece of fruit and a delicious Kashi GoLean bar.
      I love your commitment to healthy living.  I love your passion for good, all-natural foods. And I really love the thoughtfulness that goes into balancing fiber, protein and optimized glycemic ingredients in my Kashi bars. 
      So as I try to make myself a better person every day, I am trying to reduce our household waste. And I find myself wondering what to do with my Kashi wrappers. I wonder how long they will sit in a landfill, and I wonder if I have made a poor choice in bar.
      I wish for a more sustainable relationship between us, for more earth-friendly packaging for these bars. Perhaps like the compostable squeeze packs that Justin's Nut Butter is working toward. And I would invite you to join Justin's Squeeze Pack Summit next year. 
      Check out http://justinsnutbutter.blogspot.com/2010/10/sustainable-squeeze-pack-conference.html
      Really, I just hope that our relationship continues to get better and better. Happy Valentine's Day.
With love, 
Ana